It is a common belief that more independent children are also more intelligent. But is there any truth to this ideology?
First, it is important to define what we mean by independence and intelligence.
Independence refers to a child’s ability to make decisions and care for themselves without needing constant supervision or assistance. On the other hand, intelligence refers to a person’s mental ability to learn and understand new concepts, solve problems, and think critically.
While there may be some correlation between independence and infant intelligence, it is important to recognize that these are two separate and distinct traits.
Two important factors that impact infant independence and intelligence are a child’s environment and opportunities to learn and grow.
Children exposed to various experiences and challenges are more likely to develop their problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, which can lead to greater independence and intelligence.
By providing children with the right support, opportunities, and environment, we can help them develop both independence and intelligence.
Why You Should Encourage Independence
Encouraging independence in children can contribute to their overall development and well-being.
But it is not necessarily a direct cause of increased infant intelligence. Remember that correlation does not constitute causation.
Intelligence is a complex trait influenced by various factors, including genetics, environment, and experiences.
That being said, encouraging independence in children can have several positive effects on their development.
Three important positive aspects of encouraging independence in children are:
- improved problem-solving skills
- boost in self-confidence
Moreover, parents who advocate for greater independence in their children’s lives observed that it helped their kids with:
- learning to make decisions
- showing initiative
- taking responsibility for their actions
These skills can be valuable in a number of areas, including academic and intellectual pursuits.
The correlation between independence and intelligence is not a direct one. However, there are ways in which independence affects infant intelligence.
How Can You Encourage Independence
There are several ways that parents can foster independence in infants:
- Encourage self-feeding: As infants become more developmentally ready, parents can encourage them to feed themselves by offering finger foods and allowing them to explore different textures and flavors.
- Encourage self-play: Allowing infants to explore and play independently helps them develop their own interests and learn how to entertain themselves.
- Encourage self-dressing: As infants become more coordinated, parents can encourage them to dress and undress themselves by providing clothing that is easy to put on and take off, such as snaps or velcro closures.
- Provide age-appropriate toys and activities: Choose toys and activities that are appropriate for the age and development level of the infant, and allow them to play with them independently.
- Encourage decision-making: As infants become more aware of their surroundings, parents can encourage them to make simple decisions, such as choosing between two different types of snacks or toys.
- Set boundaries: It is important for parents to set clear boundaries for infants, but also allow them to explore and make mistakes within those boundaries. This helps them learn about cause and effect and develop their own sense of autonomy.
- Give your children space: Spending every waking moment with your children takes away from their independence and sense of freedom. However, since, as a parent, you need to watch over them, the best solution is to invest in a baby monitor.
READ MORE: Which is the best baby monitor?
Overall, the key is to gradually give infants more control over their own experiences and decisions, while still providing appropriate supervision and support.
Using A Baby Monitor To Foster Independence
Using a baby monitor allows you to supervise your children and keep an eye on them at all times. It is an excellent tool for fostering independence in your baby.
Here are a few ways you can use a baby monitor to help your child learn to be more independent:
Encourage your child to sleep on their own
If you’re using a baby monitor to keep an eye out for your child while they sleep, you can start to encourage them to sleep on their own. This may mean putting them in their own room or allowing them to fall asleep in a crib or bassinet.
Invidyo’s Automated Sleep Tracking feature monitors, tracks, and records your baby’s sleep periods. Using the accumulated data, it uses advanced data analysis to provide detailed insights regarding your baby’s sleep habits.
Give your child some space to explore
If you’re using a baby monitor to keep an eye on your child while they play, you can allow them to have some space to explore and play independently. This will allow them to learn and grow without constantly being under your supervision.
The Invidyo Baby Cam keeps you informed at all times. With the help of Smart Alerts, you will always be notified of your child’s activities and whereabouts.
Besides, Invidyo is the only baby monitor that gives you 360° vision of your child’s surroundings and operates using remote pan and tilt.
READ MORE: 8 Reasons Invidyo Is The Right Choice
Allow your child to try new activities on their own
If you’re using a baby monitor to keep an eye on your child while they play, you can allow them to try new activities independently. For example, you might allow your child to play with blocks or puzzles while you keep an eye on them using the monitor.
The Invidyo App allows for Multiple Monitors as well as Multiple User Support. This means that multiple family members can use the same app to watch over your baby.
Plus, if you have more than one baby or multiple cameras installed in the house, you can access all of them through the Invidyo app.
READ MORE: 6 Ways Invidyo Makes Parenting Easier
Moreover, Invidyo uses advanced technology to help you monitor your baby’s growth, health, and development. It allows you to detect early signs of illness, helps you sleep train, and even create a safe sleep environment for your baby.
READ MORE: How To Sleep Train My Baby With Invidyo
It is important to remember that children develop at different rates and in different ways, and there is no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting.
The best way to support infant intelligence and development is to provide a nurturing and supportive environment that meets their individual needs and allows them to grow and learn at their own pace.
The Invidyo Subscription
The all-inclusive Invidyo Baby Monitor provides contactless 24/7 monitoring, and the App provides access to all features right from your phone.
With an Invidyo subscription, you will never have to purchase new hardware. Our subscribers benefit from all new releases and updates instantly.
Besides, with the Invidyo subscription, you get a 30-day Free Trial and the Smart AI-Powered Baby Monitor free of charge, so you can try it before you buy it!