The 3 day potty training method is essentially a potty training boot camp where a toddler understands how to use the potty, and the parents get a good idea of their potty schedules.
It would be a little unrealistic to say that you can fully potty train your child with the 3 day method but it is a great way to kick off potty training for most children and parents as it gives a rundown of what it is all about.
With that being said, as every child is different, there are many children who have responded positively to this method of potty training and really got the hang of it by the end of the 3rd day.
Here are the main points to know about the 3 day potty training method:
- You ditch the diapers and pants (and also your plans), for the entirety of the three days. It is important that the 3 day potty training method is done in 3 consecutive days, so you have to make sure that all your attention is on the child.
- When trying this method, it is important that you don’t go back to diapers because it will undermine all the progress made.
- You will need tools like a stand alone potty or a potty seat with a stool, underwear, some books about potty and lots of healthy beverages and treats.
- The toddler is brought to the potty every half an hour and is encouraged to pee or poop in it. And once they actually use it, you make a huge deal about it and really celebrate it.
- In case of any accidents (which will happen), you don’t reprimand the child but let them know that it is okay. The main goal of this potty training method is to tell the child that their pee or poop goes in the potty.
- You also try to give them a lot of fluids so they learn how to use the potty frequently. You can give them some healthy juices mixed with water.
- Treats like M&Ms are also used to incentivize the child to use the potty. If you don’t want to involve sugary treats, you can incentivize them with some fun stickers that they will get every time they use the potty.
- This entire process is repeated over the course of 3 days, and by the end of it you should see some type of progress.